Monday, April 18, 2011

Un-news is good news?

Never before has commercial Australian news been so uninformative. In fact, if I didn't watch it at all I would naturally know more. That is actually what  have been doing, not watching the news. And it's growing, there are more and more people not watching the news, at the risk of their own increased intelligence. If I was from a third world country and someone forced me to watch a western news bulletin I would think it was some kind of variety show, light untertainment if you will.

My point is simply that the news is not news. Headlining tonight: exercise after eating chocolate, how to eat meat on a budget, which movies are showing, a blind lady taking her kids to school, and my favourite; a man who grew a tomato shaped like a duck. They called it a duck-ato. Oh my dog!
How can news reporters present these 'stories'? I'll tell you how, they're not human, surely not. You never see the back of a news reporter, do you, just the front. That's because their backs are filled with wires, buttons and knobs. Yes, there is a lot of knob involved in these robotic news reading puppets.

Whilst watching the news one cannot tell the difference between commercial breaks and news 'stories'. What's the difference? It's all a sales pitch. They are selling thoughts and people are buying them. They do not know that they are buying them, but the price is high, the price is you. The news is actually the 'no yous'.
Choose Pepsi.

2 comments:

  1. And people think I am trying to be ignorant by not watching the news! Now I dont know how I can normally function with out knowing about a Duck-ato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. News should be read, not watched. And not in the Courier Mail.

    ReplyDelete